- Start importing
- Prohibited and restricted imports
- Import animals
- Commercial ships and cruise liners
- Lodge your import entry
- Preferential tariff duty rates
- Customs exchange rates
- Import payments and refunds
- Deferred accounts for importers
- Deferred accounts for brokers
- Import forms and documents
- What is Excise?
- Apply for a licence
- Lodge your excise entry
- Claim excise duty remission or refund
- Pay excise duty and other charges
- Apply for excise duty credit or drawback
- Moving excisable items
- Changing, suspending or cancelling your licence
- Amend, surrender or transfer your licence
- Change your entry or payment timeframe
- Customs-Controlled Areas
- Excise forms and documents
An email scam is currently circulating New Zealand involving Customs. Read more about it and be on the alert.
Border clearance levy
People arriving and departing New Zealand must pay a border clearance levy.
Air travellers and people on private craft must pay:
- NZ$15.79 arrival levy
- NZ$2.94 departure levy.
Cruise passengers must pay:
- NZ$18.10 arrival levy
- NZ$4.72 departure levy.
These charges are included in your ticket when you book air travel or a cruise. We will send an invoice to private aircraft and yachts.